Wednesday, December 10, 2008

One More Hero.



I got two games in the mail yesterday: No More Heroes and Trauma Center: New Blood, both for the Wii. It's not often that I get a game for the Wii, period, so getting two in one day is rare indeed.

I actually got them because there was a holiday deal on Amazon that I just couldn't refuse. I've always wanted to at least try both, and since the Wii doesn't do demos, I just had to wait until they were dirt cheap.

To be honest, I kind of expected to play both once or twice, then never touch them again. And I really only got Trauma Center to qualify for free shipping...

I was able to give No More Heroes a fair shot yesterday. And I like it. So far, I like it quite a bit. I've always been a sucker for games with style and strong artistic design, and No More Heroes has got it by the truckload. It's obviously a singular vision that just oozes imaginative ideas.



The game is filled with creativity and humor and the core game mechanics, mainly running around and fighting, are really fun. It's very simple, but so over the top and frenetic that it's always entertaining.

I can already see how I might/will get annoyed by all of the problems the reviews constantly pointed out: the sparse and pointless overworld, the repetition, the (mandatory) side jobs...

Plus it's hard to look past the fact that, despite it's art direction and inspired visual style, it's a Wii game. Which means it doesn't look as good as it should. I can't help but feel that if it was on the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360, it would look freaking amazing. But as it is, I feel like the description is always "it looks good, for a Wii game." And that's a shame.

But despite all that, I want to play more, and I might actually play it to completion. No promises.

I did not even crack open Trauma Center. But I figure Lindsay loves to perform (small scale) surgery on me and the pets, maybe she'll love a surgery simulator.

No comments: