Tuesday, December 16, 2008

No More Heroes Pro-Tip.

I've been steadily working my way though No More Heroes. I'm 1/2 way up the leaderboard of Ranked Assassins, and since the point of the game is to become the #1 Ranked Assassin, I figure I'm about 1/2 way through the game. Go figure.

Here's my No More Heroes Pro-Tip: in each play session, only play up to and through one Boss character. Once you beat a boss, turn off the game for the night.

The game works like this: you do a job (like picking up coconuts or mowing lawns) which gives you money and the opportunity for a small-scale assassination. Do the small-scale assassination and you get enough money to pay for the entry to your next Ranking Assassination.

The Ranking Assassination parts are where the game gets really good. You go to the chosen location, battle through an onslaught of thugs and goons (who are all the same character model, albeit with different weapons in some cases) until you get the the boss, who is a wacky character with interesting attack patterns which involve a little bit of strategy. You best the boss, and you're done.

At that point, if I were to start the cycle again, it would get grating quick. The game itself, outside of the insane boss battles and bizarre story, is pretty darn... pedestrian.

All the pre-boss fluff is like paying a cover charge and waiting through a crappy opening band to see the awesome headliner. It's kind of a grind.

So I endure the grind and finish with a bang, then I'm happy. The boss battles are what makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time. It doesn't take long to complete the cycle, and at this pace, I'm really enjoying the game a ton.

But if, for some reason, I had to sit and play huge chunks at a time, I think I'd find a lot less to like.

No comments: