Thursday, May 13, 2010

quitter.

It's nice to be done with the kitchen, although I've hardly had the time to notice. I was D E A D tired at work on Wednesday, but I forced myself to go to the gym afterward. Then I met Lindsay in Uptown for some Sushi at Fuji Ya. Damn. It was soooo freaking awesome. There's some days when certain foods just hit the spot, and yesterday was one of them.

We didn't get home until 9 or 9:30, and I messed around on my computer. Steam was released for Mac, so I downloaded it and fooled around a bit. Free Portal for all (for the next week or so).

I decided to give the Starcraft II beta a whirl. It's multiplayer only, so I got in a match (as the Terran) and went to it. I played the campaign of Starcraft a long time ago, so it was pretty familiar. After about 5 of ten minutes of base-building and stuff, I sent some dude's out to scout the area. I found the opponent's base, and I was instantly just like 'I don't want to play this.'

All the reasons I don't like RTS games, specifically multiplayer, came flooding back in. It's so slow. Games take forever. You spend most of the game alone, building and setting up units, but really it comes down to the question of; did you build the right units/structures to beat out their units or structures?

In a shooter, or fighting game, it's more immediate. They keep spamming fireballs, I counter. Someone keeps sniping me, I figure out where from and flush them out. I'm always in constant contact with my opponent. The delay in when I do something (like make a siege tank) and use that unit (maybe 10 minutes later) is too painfully long for me.

So I wanted to back out of the game. But since I was playing a real human, I decided to give them an easy steamroll. I sold off any unit/structure I could, and sent a message like 'Hey, I remember why I don't like RTS games. I'm not building or defending anymore." giving them the chance to come in and wreck shit with their army. But obviously he must have thought it was a trap. I sent a couple more messages, finally ending with 'if you don't attack in the next 2 minutes, I'm just going to quit.'

I ended up just quitting and when I did, I saw the option is actually to 'surrender' so the other team gets the victory. I wish I had looked at that, I felt like if I dropped I would just be leaving him hanging mid-match or something and he wouldn't get credit.

So I deleted the beta immediately after that. I might be interested in the Starcraft II single player, but I need to remember I don't like RTS multiplayer. I keep forgetting that somehow.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I used to play Command and Conquer Generals with Steve Hall. My first, and sort of only, RTS. My very first round of multiplayer with him, I thought i had built an unstoppable army. Hundreds of dudes built and when our self-imposed 10 minute no-killing build time was up I was about to steam roll. When he called in a missile strike and killed all of them. Its OK though, a later game I built a literal ocean of tanks, and he stumbled upon them, and quit. Good times.