Lindsay went to yoga, so I took some medicine to try to feel better and I played more Flashpoint. That was about it.
Lindsay had told me the previous day that she had made reservations at some new place downtown. I was kind of bummed out just because it's so freaking cold out I didn't even want to walk to the car, but whatever. I sat around all day, what could going out for an hour hurt?
We went to the restaurant and as we approached the hostess I noticed Becky sitting at a big table with a bunch of people. I sort of waved and prepared to say a quick hello, but then I realized I knew other people at the table: Adam, Ryan, Sara, Jessie, Chris C, Chris S, Eli, Bryan... hmmm.

color me shocked.
Then they all shouted "Happy Birthday" and I realized what was happening. I had been 100% tricked, which is not easy to do. I usually figure out any surprise well before it happens, much to Lindsay's chagrin.

dumbfounded.
But I totally didn't see this coming at all, and it probably showed. Instead of jumping up and down and squealing in delight like some people might, I didn't have anything to say and I kind of awkwardly sat down and stared at everyone. It took me a couple minutes until I could really engage in any conversation or anything.
But soon it was cool, and we had a good time, ate some food and opened some gifts...

so thoughtful.

ahhh, delicious butt paste.

there are two Chris' in the picture. one is hidden.

what's up there? up where?

achoo.

i think bryan's trying to force-push that flower.
After an hour or two, Lindsay let me know the second 1/2 of this birthday extravaganza was to go to the Ice Rink. So we did. I was really skeptical at first, since it was negative a billion degrees outside, but the ice rink is enclosed and relatively warm.
So that was great. I've only skated once, but I'd say I'm pretty good compared to some of the others in the group.

lace up.

beautiful, delicate ice fairies.

the cute couple.

so graceful>

shivering for effect.
We spent an hour or so at the skate rink, and then it was time to go home. It was fun and I'm still amazed Lindsay was able to keep such a big secret, even though in hindsight the clues were there...
Earlier in the week, when Chris C and Jessie were over, I picked up Lindsay's computer to check something and she snapped at me. She said to quit looking at her email and I said I wasn't. It was weird, because we are always using each others computer and it's no big thang. But when every message in your inbox has the subject "Re: Chris' Surprise Party" I guess it's a different story.
Lindsay had been on the phone for a long time with Adam earlier, and while Lindsay was looking at the internet, I asked if he was coming to diner, and she said "yeah..." Then she stopped and stared forward and said "What? No. Sorry, I wasn't listening to what you said. He's not going, it's just us."
And maybe the strangest of all, before we went out Lindsay told me to put on some Long Underwear. I was like "To go to diner? No thanks." But she was persistent so I said I didn't even know where they were... so she started to look for them in my drawers. I was like "even if you find them, I'm not putting on long underwear just to leave the house for an hour!" So she gave up. I'm just lucky that the ice rink was well heated and totally comfortable...
So that was that. I guess I can forgive everyone for my real birthday dinner that only one friend showed up for. And then he left when he saw no one else was coming...
Also, Ryan took some more pictures, so if there's any good one's I'll post them later.


1 comment:
yay for surprises! i'm so happy you didn't figure it out!!!
Post a Comment