I've been playing Battlefield: Bad Company again, like crazy. I loved the single player but skipped over the multiplayer for the most part. I gave it a try, but the 'Gold Rush' mode (the only mode available at the time), combined with everything else Battlefield games offer was a bit too much for me to take in at once.
I'd never played a Battlefield game, and the the huge maps, the choice of tons of vehicles, and a bunch of classes, each with separate upgrades made the learning curve too steep. Add in some destructable environments, and I died a lot. There was no place to hide. I had some fun, but it didn't stick with me.
A year or more later, and my perspective has changed a bit. I've played a shit-ton of Battlefield 1943, a highly striped down (in a good way!) version of Battlefield that is easily one of my games of the year. I've come to terms with the pace and play-style of the series, so coming back to Bad Company with that knowledge made the steps of learning the new classes, weapons and vehicles that much easier.
Plus, and perhaps most importantly, they added in the Conquest mode, which is Battlefield's bread-and-butter mode. So I was able to jump in, be effective, and have a great time.
Amazingly, tons of people are still playing, and I never had a trouble getting into full games, even when I would search for more specific types of matches. It's a great, great game and I wish I had gotten into it earlier.
Oh yeah, and I was motivated into going back thanks to the Bad Company 2 trailers that have been coming out lately.
I'm pretty excited. I'm actually looking more forward to Bad Company 2 than I was for Modern Warfare 2. Which will I play more? Maybe MW2, but that doesn't matter. BF:BC 2 is going to be the jam.
Also, I love this trailer. It pretty much sums up the Battlefield experience: you spend all your energy pushing through to one objective and as soon as you complete your goal, you realize you've neglected another base somewhere else and lost it to the enemy, and the whole thing starts again.
There are so many moments where I thought "Finally! We did it!" followed by "Oh sh*t!" 5 seconds later when I realize that there's more going on than my one isolated battle.
Saturday, January 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment