Monday, November 24, 2008

please pass the ballpoint pen.

My friend Ryan lent me Resistance 2, and last night played the campaign mode until 2 am, even though I had to work today. And I don't even know why.

It's ok, but I think I might be done with it. At least, done with the single player.

I made it through most of the Twin Falls, Idaho level, which seems to be roughly 1/2 way through the game (it's chapter 4 of 9). When I turned the game off, I wasn't sure I really enjoyed any of it...

I guess the whole thing was pleasant and serviceable, but nothing about it really grabbed me.

It looked pretty good, but was sterile and didn't come close to the density and scope of Gears 2. The weapons were cool, but I felt somewhat detached and prefer the solid, tactile feeling of something like Halo. There were big, frantic, lost in the shit firefights, but they didn't share the intensity of Call of Duty 4. It had rushing waves of zombies, but it paled in comparison to Left 4 Dead.

It was a very standard first person shooter, and totally competent in pretty much every regard. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. Which kind of makes me feel bad, because it didn't do anything WRONG, it just didn't do anything extraordinarily right...

I did have fun with the multiplayer co-op in the beta though, so I'm still excited to play that a little more. I think I'm just giving up on the single player, though.

On a side note, I lent my copy of Socom: Confrontation to Ryan. He's enjoying it. I totally dig it, too, obviously.

But some people don't. Here's a quote from X-Play's review: "anyone who isn't a die-hard Socom fan will rather shove ballpoint pens into their urethra than continue playing after ten minutes..."

Enough said, I guess. I am obviously a diehard fan, because I am playing and loving the new Socom.

Even though I totally recognize it has many, many faults. I can see how a lot of people just wouldn't like it. And I respect that. But they can suck my dick.

No comments: