Sunday, November 23, 2008

Honey, I'm Home.

Yesterday I got up and went out to buy a bunch of frames.

Then I spent all day at home printing and framing 9 pieces for an art show. Lindsay went to the Tea Garden with Becky, and stayed there pretty much all day.

When she came home she was in a really bad mood. But we had Chris C come over, and he brought some BBQ with him. We had a lot, so Ryan, Adam and Sara followed along, and we had a BBQ party.

I had received an invite to Playstation Home. Ryan had a lot of fun griefing a bunch of people and acting like an idiot. My face literally hurt from laughing. But I hope I didn't get kicked from beta, either.

We played some games and all sat really close to each other on our couches. It was a pretty good time.

Today we went straight to the Tea Garden to hang "the Tiny Art Show." It's a collection of small art that is cheap, for holiday gifting purposes. We had about 8 people contribute, and we hung about 30 pieces. It was just Lindsay and myself hanging it, though, so it took a few hours.

Adam showed up when we were finishing up, and we all went out to eat.

We finally got home at around 7, and I thought i could do something fun to contradict the pain of hanging a show (I hate hanging, but I guess it's a necessary evil). But Lindsay recruited me to do some freelance revisions, so that was that.

Now I'm done, though. I think I'm going to try out Resistance 2, which I Ryan left behind for me. I lent him Socom in return. That was tough. I love me some Socom...

And for my thoughts on Playstation Home: Lame. It's boring, there's nothing to do. Avatars might not be inspired, but the Home characters are just boring and reek of just being the wrong idea. It's like Second Life without any of the deviant sex acts or the ability to fly. Which are the only redeeming aspects of Second Life.

I can't blame Ryan for inventing his own fun, the application really doesn't give you anything to do.

I'd say they can patch in the fun, but I think the realistic direction they took was really detrimental. It's not cool, it's like a marketers idea of cool.

Xbox's Avatars seemed lame when first revealed, but once I made mine and saw my friends, I warmed up a little bit. They may not be the most original idea I've ever seen, but they have enough personality to be entertaining. But the Home characters are just boring.

For instance, there's one nose. You can pull sliders to make it wider or longer, but it's still the same nose. Same goes for the mouth, eyes and ears.

And for clothing options; there are 6 shirts. 6. And they are variations on a theme. Nothing special, just long sleeve, short sleeve, collar, wife beater. No color options, nothing.

So a bunch of same-y people stand around in a barren world with nothing to do. One "visit" to home and you've seen everything there is in the world. It's almost embarrassing.

No comments: