I've had a thing in my foot for a couple weeks now. At first I could only feel it if I stepped weird and hit the front pad on my left foot directly. It wasn't a big deal. It didn't really hurt but it was kind of a gross feeling, like there was something under my skin.
After a week or so it got more pronounced. I could feel it whenever I walked. It still didn't hurt, but something about the feeling made me feel uneasy. I could see a callus forming with a small 'pucker' underneath. The pucker had a tiny darkened dot in the center.
Lindsay's first instinct was to dissect it and dig it out, or at least stick a needle in it, but the thought of it made me shake and convulse in disgust. I decided to just keep an eye on it. My worst nightmare would be planter's warts. A certain friend has a case of them, and it makes me queesy.
Finally, I could feel it all the time. Walking, sitting, laying down. Pressure or no pressure, I could feel this hard bump under my skin, and I hated it. My foot got tired and cramping from me walking on the inside of my foot trying to avoid any pressure. I couldn't stand it. It still didn't 'hurt' but if I squeezed it, poked it, or thought about poking it it made me a bit nauseous. I have sensitive feet. It just feels gross.
So last night I cracked. We didn't have an exacto knife at the house, but we had a tweezers with a sharp needle tip, so I used that to dig through the callus. I got down to the center and pulled out a tiny, tiny ball. A ball of nothing, as far as I could tell, just skin. I'm guessing I got a tiny shard of glass or wood in my foot, and my skin started to grow around it.
It was so small, and not attached to anything, just kind of embedded in the callus. There was no blood or pulling or cutting. It was just kind of tucked into my foot. It left a perfect little hole but nothing more. As soon as I pulled it out, I knew I was cured. It instantly felt better. I jumped up, walked around, stomped my feet. Good as new.
There are people who feel like their limbs aren't supposed to be there and want them amputated. It's as though their leg or arm is not a part of them. I feel like that indescribable wrongness is, in a small way, similar to how I felt about my mystery foot thing.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment