Today we I busted my hump to get a project done at work. Lindsay, Francesca and Mary all chipped in to help out. We had Pee Wee's Playhouse running in the background all day, we must have made it through 10 episodes.
At the end of the day Andres brought his cat, Boo, to the studio. It hung around for a while, but we had to bring it to Francesca, since she was on bike. Boo was freaked out and hid under the couch until it was time to leave. Lindsay and I fought for 15 minutes trying to get it into it's carrying kennel, and I came out with some nasty scratches.
We dropped the cat off and picked up Ryan. We were going to go to Ikea, but instead we got coffee walked to Lake Calhoun and fed ducks until it got dark.
We went to Sakura for some bad-ass sushi, and Ryan told us about his new plans. Then came back to our place, where we eventually played Limbo, the new XBLA game. I had played it for a couple minutes while I was waiting earlier, and really liked what I saw. Ryan was curious to get a peek, and a peek turned into Ryan, Lindsay and I solving puzzles together for a good hour or two. Probably two.
Limbo is pretty fantastic. It's atmosphere is amazing. It's creepy and quiet and foreboding, but also a little bit cute. The graphics are simple but layered with just the right amount of detail. The sound is outstanding, even more outstanding than the graphics.
We made it 17 out of 24 chapters (although I didn't know that, the game is seamless, with no loading screens, text or dialogue from the moment the game starts. I just went back to look at the chapter select menu and counted) before Ryan was so tired he could barely keep his eyes open.
I'm sure I will wrap it up in under an hour. So it's over really quickly. I don't think it should be longer, the length seems perfectly suited to the game and the mechanics, but I do think 15 dollars might be a bit on the expensive side.
I feel silly saying it, especially because I go out of my way to support indie game development as much as I can. I try to show a lot of support for products I feel should be rewarded. And Limbo should be rewarded. It's fantastic, and it's worth my 15 dollars. But I'm not sure other people will feel the same.
But maybe I'm wrong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment