Last night I beat Dragon Age: Origins. I was going to write about it in the last post, but I got too wordy about my foot.
So Dragon Age is pretty hard. There were a number of times in the game where I ran into something that seemed impossible at first blush. But figuring out hot to play smart enough to make it through was always fun and made the game a lot more interesting and enjoyable.
The last section of the game, however, tried my patience. There was a point where swarms of seemingly infinite enemies swarm you, and you just have to keep taking the punishment. It came very near the end of the game, and I died a couple times and thought "huh. I'm so close, but maybe I won't be Dragon Age after all." I went to bed and tried the next time, but really thought hard about how bad I lost (very badly) and I came up with a way to approach it completely differently. And it worked like a charm. That was a moment where I ALMOST thought the game went overboard, but then it turned out to be a satifying moment.
The final boss, however, is just kind of a pain. It's a long, long fight against a giant enemy and it's a hassle. I had to attempt it 5 or 6 times, and when I finally beat it, I was down to 2 Warrior characters with a couple lesser healing items. It was CLOSE. And it's cool that it was so nail-biting, I guess, but it would have been a lot cooler if it was nail biting the first or second time, and not the 6th, considing it's a 15-20 minute boss fight...
But it's a great game. I might even like it more than Mass Effect 2. Combat/tactics wise, I do. Story, presentation, character-wise, I don't. It's certainly a game I can see myself coming back to in a few years.
And in crazy coincidence, the day I wrapped up Dragon Age, they announced Dragon Age 2. They must have been waiting for my to wrap it up. I guess they forgot I still need to play through Dragon Age Origins: Awakening.
I had a meeting in the morning that took a bit of time. I did lunch with Natalie, then worked on wrapping some stuff up for the old office. Lindsay had to go to class, but I stayed at the studio doing some personal art before heading to the gym. I should be ready to post of SAAC piece soon.
Friday, July 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
It's funny you say you liked the combat so much. Most of the console peeps bitch and moan about that endlessly. To each their own I suppose.
Pffft. Maybe the console peeps are used to 'RPG's' like Fable 2* where it's really a character action game with some light RPG elements.
I like old school western PC RPG's, so this is a natural fit. It's about as old school as they come these days.
*Not to dis Fable 2. I like Fable a whole lot too.
Post a Comment