Thursday, January 8, 2009

Aloha Hawaii : Part Two

Today I woke up early, around 8:30. But Lindsay wasn't having it. So I went back to bed for an hour. I got up again and exercised a bit until Lindsay was up and moving.

We went out to the ocean. Which is literally across the street. It's kind of rocky around the coast, but we moved from sandy patch to sandy patch until we were out pretty far. Farther than anyone else except the surfers. The sun is scalding. I'm not burned or anything, since I doused myself in suntan lotion, but I could feel it beating down on me.

After a while we came back and showered. We went out exploring, and eventually ended up at a Japanese place for lunch. I already knew it, but Hawaii is like Japanese travel destination #1. So everything is in two languages: english and japanese. Needless to say, there are a ton of Japanese restaurants.

Hawaii_006.jpg
me, exploring a huge effin' tree.

Hawaii_007.jpg
lindsay rides the shuttle and thinks really hard.

Hawaii_008.jpg
Diamond Head Crater.

We hopped a shuttle to Diamond Head Crater, and climbed the mountain there. It was awesome. We saw some wildlife, mainly birds and a feral cat, and the environment was nothing short of spectacular. It's better told through photos, I guess:

Hawaii_009.jpg
lindsay prepares for the journey.

Hawaii_010.jpg
journey preparation is cut short by a photo-op.

Hawaii_011.jpg
F-yes i'm ready for a light hike.

Hawaii_012.jpg
lost already? no, just admiring the scene.

Hawaii_013.jpg
we start upwards.

Hawaii_014.jpg
getting there...

Hawaii_015.jpg
rough terrain.

Hawaii_016.jpg
you can really tell it's a crater from this side (maybe not so much from this picture...).

Hawaii_017.jpg
it's getting high enough to be windy.

Hawaii_018.jpg
coastal village? maybe. don't ask me...

Hawaii_019.jpg
honolulu.

Hawaii_020.jpg
lindsay entering a long tunnel that goes straight through the crater wall.

Hawaii_021.jpg
this is crazy, yo!

Hawaii_022.jpg
cue 80's style triple-take.

Hawaii_023.jpg
an ant-sized light house?

Hawaii_024.jpg
looking at waikiki beach from the top of the crater.

We made it back down just in time to catch the last shuttle back to town. If we would have missed it, it would have been a long walk... But we did get to hang around long enough to see a bunch of cocky Brazilian people get fined for trespassing.

Hawaii_025.jpg
the less-exciting hike back to the shuttle pick-up point.

When we got back I was ridiculously tired, but we cleaned up a bit and went out for some food. The place we went was nice, but today was Elvis' 74th birthday, so everyone was dressed like Elvis. It was distracting.

I am so tired I can't stand it.

No comments: