I played 4 games a lot this weekend. Considering I have Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Super Street Fighter 4 and a grip of other, sweet games to play, the games I actually kept coming back to might be a surprise.
1. Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing. With ModNation Racers, Blur and Split/Second all hitting the shelves within a week of each other, I've been tempted to pick up a new kart-esque racer. I've almost pulled the trigger on all three at one point or another... But every time I just remembered that I've still got Sonic And Sega All-Stars Racing sitting on my shelf.
I went through the entire game a few weeks/months back, winning all Gran Prix events. But once I beat the last tier, I just put the game aside (probably thanks to Red Dead, Alan Wake etc...). But it was a blast and there's a lot to the game I hadn't even touched yet: a cool challenge mode, multiplayer, ranked time trials, unlockables, crazy achievements. And the more I play it, the more I like it. It's really great. And the bright, crisp graphics look great. Especially on my new TV.
2. World of Warcraft. Lindsay and I have done a couple of quest-sessions in WoW this weekend. That one is just surprising because we haven't played in months, but it's always fun to come back. I should just cancel my subscription and re-up when the mood strikes me to play, but whatever. I'm pretty sure lazy people and convenience are what pays Blizzard's bills.
(That never gets old. Out of the 4 or so times I've seen it.)
I always like playing WoW because it's one of the only games Lindsay can play with me for extended periods of time, so I'm always game to go back to Azeroth (or the Outlands, in our case)...
Snoopy Flying Ace. Maybe most surprising of all is how into this week's XBLA release, Snoopy Flying Ace, I am. But it's a super-tight flight combat game that has excellent chunky graphics, tons of variety and awesome levels and planes. The single player is good enough, I guess, but the multiplayer is where it's at. It's stellar.
I can't stop hopping into a few multiplayer matches whenever I have a minute. Totally worth the 10 bucks, it's completely solid and more fun than it seems like it should be.
4. Demon's Souls. And finally, in stark contrast to all the colorful, bubbly, happy-go-lucky games on this list, I've returned to Demon's Souls. The darkest, hardest game I own. It's fucking metal.
Demon's Souls is constantly in the back of my mind. It's so bizarre and foreign and kind of scary to me, and I love everything about it. Within minutes of starting it up again, I remember 'Oh yeah... This is one of my favorite games. Ever. I feel like I could play this game on and off for years (and I probably will).
There's something indescribably special about Demon's Souls. I think the most lovable games are often the most divisive. Shadow of the Colossus, Far Cry 2, Demon's Souls; you either love them (REALLY love them) or you hate them (maybe you're just apathetic towards them). Everyone likes Call of Duty or Halo or whatever. They're polished and fun and awesome. But it's hard to love them, because they lack the uniqueness and personality of something more... obtuse.
Goddam I love you, Demon's Souls.
Sunday, June 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I wish I knew how you managed to play so many games. Then I remember, I watch too many TV shows, if only I used that time to play games...
Eh.
Post a Comment