From my room, I can hear the street below. It's pretty loud, but the rushing of traffic doesn't really bother me. This morning I woke up and heard that high pitched sound of traffic on wet street. Sure enough, I got up and it was pouring rain. Great.
I had to get to my meeting, but I had some time. So I took it slow and wrote some Paper Bicycle blogs, looked at some maps and checked my email for a bit. I called a cab to pick me up. My meeting wasn't until 3, but I wanted to be in the area no later than 2, just to make sure I wouldn't be late.
The dude on the phone was gruff and angry. He said "ya know, it's really busy today, thanks to the rain. don't expect a cab anytime soon."
Ok. I am super early anyway, so I can deal with that. But before I could ask what time the cab would be there, he said "cab's on the way" and hung up. Did I mention I sat on hold for 20 minutes to get this far?
So I trusted him, and waited. I practiced what I was going to say at the meeting and went over my materials a few times. I called Lindsay. I wrote a little bit.
Mostly, I just looked out my window for any cabs pulling up. Eventually, I got restless and waited outside under an awning. Finally, I got sick of waiting and just started walking. I had to do something. It was far away and if I this cab never showed I was going to look like a real idiot.
I hailed any cab I saw, but no one was stopping. About 10 blocks later, someone picked me up.

I was still about 40 minutes early, and there was already 20 people or so milling around Chronicle Books when I arrived. I checked in and got a firm meeting time before I took off into the (now pouring) rain. I hadn't had any food or water yet, since I'm wary of hotel water and hadn't had time to stop anywhere, and it was getting close to 3. I was super thirsty, and a little hungry.
I found a bagel place and got the best salt bagel I've ever had. It might have been because I was really hungry, but I'm pretty sure it was just the best. I grabbed a couple bottles of water, too, and went back for my meeting.
The meeting went great and was over before I knew it. The woman I met with seemed interested in what we do outside out pitch, as well. It sounded like they were doing a pitch for Target, and she perked up a bit when I mentioned what Paper Bicycle did, our clients and our specialty.
So that was great. I walked proudly out in the rain (now pouring harder than ever) and just started walking. I didn't quite know where I was going, but I knew the general direction I wanted to go. Eventually, I was even unsure of that. These street run at an angle, and I got thrown off course.
Getting a cab on a rainy day in San Fransisco is hard. Really hard. I must have hailed more than 50 cabs. I walked with my arm in the air for a mile or so. After a while I gave up. I just trudged along, soaking wet. My maps were soggy and tearing. By now I was turned around and very lost. And really, really angry.
Eventually, long after I had given up trying, I saw a row of 3 cabs turning a corner after I had crossed. I threw my hand up, not really expecting much, but one did stop. A Christmas miracle.
He said it was raining really hard to the south and most flights were delayed at the airport, so all the cabs were headed there for some easy money.
So I got back, roughly 3 hours after leaving the meeting. I hung up all my clothes and took a shower. I was wearing my only pair of pants, my only hoodie and my only jacket. I was soaked down to my t-shirt, and my feet were prune-y.
I stayed in all night, pretty much. I put on my pants and jacket to go grab some food, but I had to bring it back to the room. They were still pretty wet and ice cold, too. I packed my bags up, and mainly played a lot of Civ V. Yeah! Living it up in San Fransisco. But really, if I went anywhere, it was going to have to be in my undies.
Tomorrow my flight doesn't leave until 11, but I'm going to the airport at 7:45. Whatever. I wish today was cooler, but I did what I came for and that's enough for me.


No comments:
Post a Comment