Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Couple of smaller gems.

I've been kind of busy, in a good way, lately. The kitchen show keeps us running around (we start filming in 2 weeks, yikes), I've been staying a bit later at work and I've been doing a few art projects at home. Every morning I kick myself for not going to bed earlier, but every night I find myself awake at 2 am wishing the day was longer.

I picked up a couple indie titles that are really cool. I haven't had much of a chance to play them, but they both have made pretty great first impressions, so I'm excited to dig a little deeper.

The first was originally a PC game that just recently came to the Xbox Indie channel, called Flotilla. It's basically a simultaneous turn-based, tactical, three dimensional space-combat simulator with an abstracted art style and a soothing atmosphere...

It's hard to explain, so here's the developers giving a little demo, which pretty much explains everything.



So far it's been a real treat to play. I love the concept, it's a bit complex to start but I quickly got the hang of it. The pace is as slow as you want it to be, so I never feel overwhelmed although I've only played a few missions. I'd heard about it as a PC game, but I've slowed down my PC buying habits. It was cool right off the bat, but I quickly realized I'm just a console gamer to the core, and I just don't play PC games that often. So when I saw it pop up on Xbox, I snatched it up.

The second game is the long awaited Cave Story remake on WiiWare. Yes, I know it's 3 or 4 years old. And I know it's free on PC. But like I said, I'd rather play on a console. And that goes ten-fold when it's a platformer.



I've only played the first 15-20 minutes, but so far I think it's great. Cool, cool stuff.

Too bad Bad Company 2 is so damn awesome it's hard to spread the love...

No comments: