Monday, March 29, 2010

Wizard of Om.

So things started smoothly with this Kitchen thing... On Friday we met with the designer and went to Ikea. We mainly there for cheap cabinets, and we picked out all the sizes, attachments, etc that we needed. We also found a fridge, hood and dishwasher that we liked, to take advantage of their ongoing buy 3 appliances, get 20% off deal.

Great. We were done by 5 pm, no sweat. The first thing we saw when we got home was an email from the president of the production company that there was a new mandate: No Ikea. Crap. Not only did we do the work and planning, but Ikea is like 1/2 the price of anything else...

So first thing Saturday we went out to Home Depot with our designer. We worked through it and put together a new plan, but it does cost a bit more, and it's not as easy. But whatevs.

After we took care of that, we stopped at United Noodle for more... noodles. We also tried out their little restaurant/cafe. It was pretty good. I got a dish that I used to eat all the time when I visited Japan, but it's really, really hard to find anywhere in America. It's a very workman-like dish, maybe the equivalent to a Grilled Cheese here. Something that people eat all the time, but you don't got to a fancy restaurant and see it on the menu.

I went with Lindsay to a client's (and former co-worker's) house. We were just dropping some stuff off, but it turned into an hour long visit.

After that we pretty much went straight out to the Orpheum downtown to see The Wizard of Oz. Since I was out of town last weekend, this was sort of Lindsay's birthday night. It was a good play, with some very cool production values (and a real dog playing Toto!). But it didn't blow my mind, like some play's we've seen recently. It was just good.

We walked down 1st Ave to Om, a new Indian restaurant in the clubby part of time. It's about 6 or 7 blocks, and I can't remember the last time I've been so annoyed. I'm just going to say it; people who go out to the clubs (at least these clubs) are dumb, obnoxious and worthless people. Just listening to them around us as we walked was enough to make me glad I never have to interact with anything so fucking stupid on a regular basis.

But Om's food was quite good, even if the atmosphere was pretty douche-y. Not even the atmosphere. Take out the people and it would have been great.

Oh wait. Take out the music, too.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

This dish you speak of, you should explain it. There's lots of Japanese noodle places littering NYC these days. I wonder if it is the same stuff... Fancy Ramen, basically.

Chris Hajny said...

It's not a noodle dish. It's rice, breaded pork cutlet, egg and some other stuff. It's called katsu donburi. Find it! It's good stuff!