Wednesday, March 17, 2010

An Underdog.

The other day I got God of War III in the mail. I was working late to get some files sent off, so only played about 15 minutes. It seems cool. I liked God of War 1 and 2 a great deal. Both are amazing and I like them a great deal, but I guess I would never consider the God of War franchise one of my favorites.

I'm usually very put off by the hack-n-slash genre, but God of War does it so well that it transcends the genre. I look forward to getting around to it, but I'm not in a huge hurry, I guess.

I still have a quite a bit left in Bioshock 2, I think. I guess I'm in no hurry to play that, either. I've just been lacking motivation to play it. As I've said before, it's quite good. I think it has more to do with the size of the levels. I feel like I need to sit down and play through one entire level per session, but the levels are huge. So I just never end up playing it at all.

I will soon, though. Maybe after my trip this weekend.

Despite having these 2 triple A games sitting on my shelf, not to mention trying to tear-up in the super-sweet Bad Company 2 multiplayer whenever I can, I picked up a couple new games today.

The first I've been meaning to pick up for a long, long time. Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes got a lot of buzz for being unexpectedly outstanding when it was released (in November?)and I've been meaning to pick it up since.



I guess I haven't played my DS in a long time. Since we went to Mexico last year? I don't know. But there hasn't been a lot of interesting stuff, besides this, and it's taken me a while to actually find.

Either no one is carrying it, or it's name is just so freakin' generic that whenever I look for it, I end up looking for some weird variation, like Heroes and Magic: Clash of Might or Clash of Might: Heroes of Magic. Confusing and needlessly bland, especially considering how cool it is.

Anyway, I finally found it.

I actually went to the store to pick up Metro 2033. It's a Ukrainian game based on a famous(I guess?) Russian book of the same name.



I really appreciate and am on the look-out for quality games that do something quite different. This appealed to me in the same way Demon's Sous or Far Cry 2 did. It seemed foreign, different and maybe slightly obtuse.

I was unsure if it would even be worth my time, but reviews seemed to indicate it was pretty good. I was already very interested, so it didn't have to be phenomenal for me to buy it. It just couldn't be fundamentally broken.

Many reviews seemed to bring up a list of similar complaints; Ammo is scarce! You have to scrounge for supplies! You have to recharge your flashlight often, and manually! You have to use your in-game watch to time how much oxygen you have! The good ammo is also your money!

Those aren't complaints! Those are things that make me want to try this game. Something different, exciting! Unique! Not Call of Duty! Oh no!

So I decided to get it. Right away. If for no other reason than to show my support of games like these. I want strange, European games! I want games that won't appeal to everyone. I want a unique voice and ideas. And I will put my money where my mouth is.

No comments: