Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mexico: Day Six

The last day in Mexico was just Lindsay and myself, and it ended up being the greatest day of all. We took a ferry to Ilsa Mujeres, a 5-or-so mile long island off the coast.

MexicoDay 6.01
waiting for the ferry.

MexicoDay 6.02
not the ferry.

MexicoDay 6.03
our hotel. view from the ferry.

There’s no public transportation, so we rented a moped. The guy who gave it asked for my driver’s license. I didn’t have it. So he asked for my room key. Then he asked if we had ever driven moped. We said no. So he asked if we’d ever driven a motorcycle. We said no. He just looked at us a second and finally said “turn this handle to go.” And that was all the instruction we got before pulling off into a super packed street.

MexicoDay 6.04
once bad mutha eff'.

There’s a small town on the island, but the rest is coast and countryside. So we spent the day cruising the roads alone. It was amazing. I guess it was pretty much the only ‘real’ experience of the trip. One that wasn’t hosted, guided, produced or paid for.

MexicoDay 6.05
someone's house. it didn't look like there were real windows or doors or anything.

MexicoDay 6.06
the place next door.

Everything was very rural, spread out and the houses seemed very poor. They ranged from run down to shanty, basically. There was the town side, which had hotels and shops and packed streets, but out in the countryside I doubt they even had electricity or plumbing. But they lived right across the road from the ocean, so I guess that’s the trade off.

People just opened their front door and put out whatever they had. Old shoes. Shells, handmade trinkets. We stopped and got some guacamole, and we found an iguana. We found a sculpture park on a cliff, and we’d just stop anytime we wanted. We’d see a spot on the coast, and I’d just look for some gravel to pull up on.

The roads were rough and there wasn’t any ‘lookout’ signs or ‘stop here!’ signs. Once I wanted to stop at a beach and I pulled off the road onto some gravel. But the gravel was mainly sand underneath, and when I pulled the break the moped tipped and slid. I jumped off and grabbed Lindsay, afraid he leg would be caught underneath, but she had already jumped off to safety. It wasn’t a bad crash, we weren’t going more than 15 or 20 MPH, but it still scared the crap out of me for a minute.

MexicoDay 6.07
i think that's a zipline in the distance.

MexicoDay 6.08
public art.

MexicoDay 6.09
cancun in the distance.

MexicoDay 6.10
it's nice to be away.

MexicoDay 6.11
the bike key is like fine jewelry.

MexicoDay 6.12
lighthouse? something else?

MexicoDay 6.13
iguana! do-rag!

MexicoDay 6.14
ahhhh, no hotels.

MexicoDay 6.15
rocks and tide pools, lindsay's favorite!

MexicoDay 6.16
all alone.

MexicoDay 6.18
waves!

MexicoDay 6.17
i find something gross.

MexicoDay 6.19
what i found. there were tons of them.

MexicoDay 6.20
across from the rocks and tidepools.

MexicoDay 6.22
i'm thirsty. ocean water is like spring water, right?

The whole time was just amazing. Although driving back into town and stressful and totally sucked.

When we got back to the hotel we started packing. We met up with Ryan and Adam. Everyone was tired, and ready to go home. After spending the afternoon alone with Lindsay in paradise, I was a little annoyed, Annoyed with the hotel. Annoyed with the guests, even a little annoyed with our friends. It was a good time, but I’d had about enough vacation for one trip.

Just in time for the trip to end.

MexicoDay 6.21
the end.

No comments: