Monday, December 7, 2009

games that kick you in the nuts.

This weekend was kind of productive, I guess. I wasn't feeling very well, but we finally moved every last thing out of the studio. Now our house is a mess...

So most of the time was spent doing that. We hung out with some friends and ran a lot of errands, too. It was actually very productive and I can be happy with that.

But I noticed a trend. I've been meaning to get back to 2 games: Operation Flashpoint 2 and Demon's Souls. I kept turning on Operations Flashpoint 2, and I'd start a mission. Before even hitting one checkpoint, something would happen and I'd have to turn it off. We'd leave the house, or I'd get swept into a project. Probably 4 times I turned on the 360, booted Flashpoint, loaded my save, started walking forward... and we have to go. Or someone's here. Or this needs to be done. So I'd turn it off no further than when I started it.

Demon's Souls I also turned on a couple times and didn't even load my game. I just turned on the PS3 thinking 'I should put in Demon's Souls' and before I'd even sit down I'd turn it off again.

Eventually, I did find the time for both. And it was awesome. I'm on a roll in Demon's Souls. I gave on on the Tower Knight, for now, and I decided to just go on to another area. I made it through 2-1 and killed the Armored Spider boss on my first try, and it was actually pretty easy. Beating the boss granted me my flesh and blood body back, which is the first time in a LONG time I haven't been in spirit form. That was only the second boss I've conquered... in 12 hours of playtime. After that, I made huge progress on 3-1. But then I slipped and fell off a cliff... Back to spirit form for me, I guess.

It's funny that I'm kind of always playing Demon's Souls and Flashpoint at the same time. Both are so punitive that and scrap of progress is a giant victory. I didn't even beat a level in Flashpoint, but I did make it a few checkpoints, which is awesome. But now I'm stuck at a point and I think I just need to step back, take a breather and really figure out a new plan...

I love both Demon's Souls and Flashpoint. I think I might put together a top ten list of 2009, just for fun, and you better believe both those games are going to be up there...

No comments: