Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Killing Floor won me over.

I mentioned in my last post that I'd been playing some a few PC shooters that I'd bought on the cheap during Steam's ongoing holiday sale. I've been cycling through 5 or 6 games worth of online multiplayer, and I came to the (probably pre-mature) realization that I just don't dig the online PC gaming scene. At all.

I don't like the obtuse server browsing, I don't like the mods, the unofficial maps, the tweaked rule sets, the annoying sound clips, the pace of play... basically I don't like the inconsistency.

My feeling grew slowly and subconsciously, until a conversation with a co-worker turned into a rant. At that point, I was struck with the realization that I just wasn't having a good time. So I figured maybe I'd play my newly purchased games every once in a while, but pretty much avoid the scene for the most part.

Then I went home and saw that Killing Floor was on sale for 5 bucks. And I couldn't resist. I've been interested in the game since it came out, and now was my chance to try it for next to nothing. I threw aside my misgivings and bought it instantly.

And I'm glad I did. It's a blast, it runs great on my very, very modest laptop, and I'm having little to no issue with all the things that had bothered me previously. I was able to play quite a few great games with good people, and I had a whole lot of fun.

I can't say if it will have a ton of lasting power, but I do wish I was playing right now. And that's certainly saying something.

Plus, you can't beat 5 bucks.

But I wish it was an XBLA game.

5 comments:

Jesse said...

yes, PC multiplayer is not for you, your list of complaints is nearly identical to the list of pro's most pc gamers would list.

The obtuse server browsing is the one thing I miss most.

Chris Hajny said...

Pffft. You should have got a PS3 then. Killzone 2 and Warhawk both have pointless server browsing, off the top of my head. I dislike it but at least they can't change the rules to any major extent. Or import Simpson's quotes.

And I am fully aware everything I hate about PC gaming is what PC gamers love.

Three more things I hate: tweaking settings, wondering if a game will even RUN before I buy it, and mouse and keyboard controls.

Yeah, I said it.

Jesse said...

You know what I hate? Stubbing my toe. Headaces. Olives.

Yep. That's about it.

Chris Hajny said...

What?! That's totally not all you hate. You hate tons of stuff. You used to hate me!

Used to?

Jesse said...

oh yeah, I forgot about everything else in the world. I hate that too, everything.

Not really. Maybe.

And don't worry, you're not everything or olives.