
mexico
As usual, Lindsay and I didn’t get to bed until pretty late, considering we had a flight that left at the crack of suck. We got up at 4 AM to catch our 6 AM flight. Since we’d parked our cars in our various garages, we had a cab pick us up. It was there right on time.
Our house is close to the airport, it's a short ride. No longer than 10 minutes. But this time it felt a whole lot longer. Our cab driver seemed very nice and personable to start with, but as he kept talking I realized he might have schizophrenia, or maybe he's just a pathological liar. He pretty much recounted his entire history. Most in striking detail. Pretty much all of it sounded totally fake. He was Car and Driver’s ‘Driver of the Year’ in 1993, right after the man who drove the Rocket Car and the guy who invented the Ferrari. I guess it could have been true, but there was a lot of bogus stuff I can’t even remember. It was strange.
The flight wasn’t so bad, and we actually arrived a bit early into the Cancun airport. We found the shuttle to our hotel, and I was immediately annoyed. Our shuttle-mates were a bunch of middle-aged women who acted like they were 20. They grabbed some drinks from the curbside bar immediately, and proceeded to talk at length, and very loudly, about getting drunk, partying and heinous gossip about their travel-mates who weren't on the shuttle.
I was sitting in front of them, and didn't really see them before they got on, and I assumed they were in their early to mid 20’s. They were catty, loud, totally ignorant, disrespectful and they seemed to have that "I'm finally allowed to drink alcohol" infatuation with telling people how much they were going to get wasted. When they got off the shuttle and I finally saw them, I realized they were closer to forty than twenty. Pretty sad.
But that’s pretty much the M.O. for everyone in Cancun. There’s a lot to like about that area, but the other tourists and travelers are not one of them…
When we got to the hotel, our room wasn’t ready, so we were still dressed in our Minneapolis hoodies and pants and scarves, but we hit up the buffet until we could get in. Adam and Ryan showed up quite a bit later, so we passed the time cleaning up, checking out the beach and looking around.
By the time Adam and Ryan got there, everyone we pretty exhausted. We got some food and hung swam in the pool for a while, and took a bus to a shopping area to find me a hat. But then we just called it a night.

still getting over the flight.

adam photographed with his mouth full? that's about 75% of his pics.

being amazed by an amazing fountain.

lindsay, excited to be in her homeland.

lindsay and adam about to bash heads.

i must have done or said something funny.

twins!

end of a long day...


No comments:
Post a Comment