Friday, April 16, 2010

Oil painting class.

Last night we had our first (of four) oil painting class. Lindsay, Ryan, Alex and myself all took it, so together we make up 4/9 of the students.

I kept my expectations in check, considering this is a 50 dollar community education class, and it was pretty much what I expected. Not in a bad way, though. It's very low pressure, the teacher is helpful but not particularly insightful, the other students range from being younger hippies to older retired types. The conversations drifted from basic color theory to silly, naive talks of art and meaning and shit.

But all I was looking for was a basic explanation about the fundamentals of oil painting, a worry-free place to get messy, and and excuse to try. And it was quite a good time. We had quite a few laughs and just had fun painting.

We spent the first 1/2 of the class covering basics and mixing colors. Then we spent the last 1/2 just painting whatever we wanted. I painted a cat head. It's something I'm super familiar with and I wanted to spend the maximum amount of time painting, not sketching on canvas.

kitty oil painting

I would have liked to keep working, but we had to leave. I might keep working on it at home, but with all that's going on right now, in addition to all the pet hair to deal with, I don't know if I'll get the chance. I defiantly want to add a lot more paint to it, though.

Afterward I was pretty hungry. Ryan came back to our place and we got some pizza. We played some Tatsunoko VS Capcom before he took off. Lindsay and I finished up watching the second season of Avatar, and at 12:30 I was ready to call it a night. Right before I was going to go to bed, Adam G came online and I ended up playing ONE match in Battlefield. But the first match was 1/2 over when we jumped in, so ONE more... but the next match was lame, so ONE more... then we just barely lost, so ONE more to set the record straight. Yeah. Soon it was 2 am. Oops.

No comments: