Saturday, April 18, 2009

Andy.

This Friday we said goodbye to Andy for the last time.

Crusty Old Andy.jpg

His diabetes combined with liver and kidney disease was finally too much for him, and during the night he had a terrible seizure. We found him early Friday morning, and we both cancelled everything and ran to the vet. He fought all day, but the damage was done. We spent the day at the vet with him, but he passed near 5 pm.

It was a long, difficult and exhausting day. We already miss him a lot, but after 17 long, hard-fought years, it was pretty much inevitable.

Andy was a trooper. He happily took his shots of insulin and fluids via IV everyday, pushed back from the brink of death more times than I could have hoped and even at his most old and frail, put up with baby Oliva's constant wrestling and biting. He may have been a pretty weird cat sometimes, but was always the nicest guy imaginable.

We both love him a lot and took his death pretty hard. I know you have to expect this kind of thing with pets, but it doesn't make it any easier...

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Oh that's really sad. I'm sorry to hear that. I always like Andy.