Saturday, February 28, 2009
thoughts on Flower.
the music in the game is better than this, if you ask me...
I've completed Flower, but I didn't play it all. Lindsay actually played the first 3 or four levels of the game, and had a great time. It's simple, intuitive, and gorgeous.
The first three levels are pure reward, with no videogame cliches like obstacles, time limits or score. You just play the wind and move through an environment. There's definitely progression, as you collect more petals and move onto new areas, but there's nothing stopping you from doing absolutely nothing at all, as well (in fact there's not one, but two trophies for doing just that.)
But there was a shift on the 4th level, where the tone changes, and with it comes consequence. All of a sudden, there are obstacles. There are "enemies" and there might be death (although I never experienced it, every time you get hit some petal burn and dissipate, so I imagine eventually you'd run out and be dead, but maybe not).
So while Lindsay had a wonderful time with the first 1/2 of the game, she immediately lost interest once they introduced the challenge. Not only did she lose interest, but she was mad at the game for not being what it led her to believe it was.
I didn't mind, and I think adding this thematic change gave the game a narrative drive and variation to make the overall game that much more impactful, but I can see exactly where she's coming from.
If Sony markets a game as a relaxing non-game, then it shouldn't turn into a something that is very clearly a traditional game. I think it's a great experience, and I like the depth and layers added by the game elements, but even I was surprised to find them there.
All that being said, I really like Flower. There's a lot internet hype and love for it, more than I might expect or give it credit for deserving, but it's definitely a cool game.
good times. good vibes.
Also of note: I'm at the Tea Garden and there's a DJ tonight. I'm positive he's playing the music from Toe Jam and Earl. Which is awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment