This weekend was pretty fun, but there was some drama (not mine).
A couple of our friends have some drama going on, so we wanted to hang with them. It was cool. We spent most of the time working at the Tea Garden and playing games or going out with a bunch of friends. It was a lot of fun, despite the hard times some of them might be having.
I finished reading The Watchmen. I've been meaning to read it since I the Graphic Novel class I took at MCAD. I finally got around to it. It was good, sometimes great. I wasn't ecstatic about the art when I started, but the book is so dense that after I started reading I didn't notice the drawings so much anymore...
I did notice that there wasn't a single character in The Watchmen that I liked. As in, that I liked or related to. Maybe that's kind of the point. It didn't make it any less awesome, but I thought it was kind of strange. I guess. I don't know why.
I started reading a book called Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans. I picked it up a couple weeks ago when I picked up the Watchmen, but I wanted to finish one before starting the other.
It's really good. And terrifying. I've read books on Vietnam and I've seen movies and documentaries about Vietnam, but I don't think I'll ever be able to comprehend what it was really like. It's fascinating and horrifying and unbelievable.
I'm particularly enjoying the book, though. It has a very personal and conversational tone (being an oral history and all) and the extra layer of talking to the racial tension adds a lot to the stories.
It's great, but I'll be honest, I have had a couple restless nights after reading Bloods before going to sleep. It can be pretty affecting.
Sunday Lindsay and I started to clean and move stuff around the house. We actually put a good dent in the mess, and started to make sense of our front room. Again. Finally.
We seem to always get into the mood to turn our messy life around, but then the week comes back around and everything falls back apart.
The circle of life.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment