Tuesday, August 3, 2010

SSFIV Lesson.

It's really pretty hot lately. It's not so bad that I can't stand it, but it's gross.

Yesterday I went in for a meeting that was kind of pointless. But then I got to go out to lunch with a friend I don't see much anymore, so that was cool.

Ryan spent the day at the studio with us, and after I wrapped up work, we played a bunch of Street Fighter. Then I played a bunch of Street Fighter online, I won quite a few matches, and lost some too. I decided to check out the endless battle mode, and got in a room with two pro players. They were crazy good, and their stats backed it up.

Endless Battle works like the arcade. You line up, watch the fights and wait your turn to challenge the winner. Every person who would go up against this dude would lose bad, then drop from the room after the match. I decided to give it a go anyway. Right before my match, the other phenomenal player went. It was Cammy (my best character, pretty much) vs DeeJay (who I never see anyone play as. Ever). The Cammy player did things I'd never even known possible. He/she was phenomenal. But the reigning champ was even better but it was damn close. It was the most skillful match I've ever witnessed 'live'.

So bringing Cammy into the next match seemed silly. Luckily, the pro dude realized from my stats that I was new and unskilled, so he picked a character he'd never used online. And I lost. By this point, everyone else had dropped out so it was just him and I. So I played again, and again. Every time, he picked a sillier character until he picked Dan. The joke character. The joke character that you pick to prove a point.

To be honest, I didn't feel like he was trying to make me feel bad or anything. He was trying to give me a fighting chance. And for a couple matches, I had a hard time but I didn't get decimated. I'm sure he had the kid gloves on, though. Eventually, new people joined the room so I had to wait again. I dropped out and thanked him for giving me a chance. Soon it was around 11 pm.

Adam G came challenged me to a game which turned into 5 or so. He's really good, and it was a bit frustrating. Now I know how it feels to be a slightly worse friend. Noted.

No comments: