Thursday, October 29, 2009

Run for the border.

My copy of Borderlands arrived in the mail today. I came home excited to play it, but decided to go out to Lindsay's class' art opening instead. I guess that might be nice. I brought my computer to do some work. I talked to some folks and did some artwork, trying to hide out from the crowd. We got home at about 10, and after we ate I finally cracked open Borderlands...

It seemed OK, but less than 1/2 hour later, Lindsay realized she left some very important papers at the studio... and she was too busy to get them. So at 11:00 I jumped into the car and drove to uptown to fetch the papers in question.

I got back at nearly midnight, but I was determined to at least get a taste of Borderlands apart from the tutorial. And I played until 2 am, which is a bit longer than I should have. But so far, it seems pretty great.

The shooting is really solid, the leveling and skill trees seem interesting and the sound design is great. The guns, especially the sniper rifles, really snap. I spent most of the time playing with my super nice headphones, which is always a lot of fun when the game has got really solid, crisp gun audio...

I should finish up Brutal Legend. I'm basically one brief series of missions away from the end. I liked the game, but I am split. There were moments and specific parts (mainly the art and world) that were just amazing and I just loved seeing everything and exploring the world. Overall I had a darn good time, but the combat was a little sloppy, the user interface was sometimes a little vague and the RTS elements a little too... random?

I feel like I always win, and it was easy, but I never know why. I never feel confident or even like I know what's really going on. Often times a battle would end and I'd say "Oh really? I win? Good. I'm glad I don't have to do that again."

I'm not finished, and I really, really liked a whole lot of it. And I do want to keep going back to that world every once in a while. It's pretty sweet.

So sweet, in fact, that I might be going as a certain character from that game. Like, maybe the main character. And maybe I might have some friends as supporting characters to cruise around with. Just maybe...

No comments: