Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lady bug be gone.

I'm getting a new car. It's a Honda Fit. I might not get it today, or this week. Or this month. But I will get it sometime this year. I've already researched it, picked it out, test drove it a couple times, got an estimate on a trade in for my car and planned out any accessories I might need. I'm pretty much set. In fact, I've been set for months.

But I decided to wait until after the wedding, since weddings are very, very expensive. We tried to keep the whole wedding cheap, but things add up, people add up, plans add up, and while we might not have surpassed the somewhat standardized 20,000 dollar mark, we easily exceeded the 10,000 dollar one.

Luckily we're horrible with finances and keeping track of our money, so we'll never know exactly how painful it really was. Heck, I guess it could have been 30,000 and I wouldn't have known the difference. We're that bad.

But now that things have settled down, and I'm a fair bit lighter in the wallet, I'm getting back in the new car mode. My car has served me well. It's been in the family since 1999 (and I crashed it that same year), and I've owned it since 2004. And I am rough on cars.

    Here's a list of things wrong with my car off the top of my head:
  • It runs completely out of oil about every 2 months. I try to fill up the oil every other time I get gas, but hey, I'm busy.
  • The gas cap mechanism is broken, so I have to use my key to pry it open every time. For 3 years.
  • The CD changer is broken, and has been for 5 years. Luckily I use an iPod with an FM adapter
  • The headlights chronically go out. I have to get one changed about once a month. And it's been like this since I got it. And I've gotten tickets for it. And I don't know how to change it, so I've had to get a mechanic to do it every time. And I don't want to learn how to do it.
  • The passenger side seat doesn't move forward, thanks to Becky breaking the handle. So if I want someone to get in the back, I have to get out.
  • The air conditioner doesn't work. At all.
  • The driver's side window only goes down 3/4 the time. And only comes back up 1/2 the time.
  • The passenger side window is only slightly better.
  • The sun roof is kind of broken and whistles at high speeds.
  • It shakes at high-ish speeds. Getting an alignment only helped a bit. For a few days.
  • It's rusty.
  • I cannot score the ladies in it...


That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I've put thousands in over the years (especially in 2007 I think. EVERYTHING came apart that year), but it still runs. So while I think I'm justified in my decision to get a new car, part of me still feels guilty and wasteful.

But I'm trading it in, and they're giving me a surprising amount of credit for it, so I'm anxious to just do it before they wise up...

So yeah. I don't know why I wrote this post, I guess I was just thinking about it as I was driving around in the rain on my way to and from work today.

No comments: