Friday, June 19, 2009

no more No More Heroes.

A number of months back, I picked up No More Heroes on the Wii. The Wii hasn't got much love from me since I bought it (on a whim), but No More Heroes had the charm and personality to make me take interest. But not quite enough to hold my interest.

If you were ask me, "Should I check out No More Heroes?" I would probably say, "Yes! It's full of creativity and style and originality!"

I would then follow up that statement with, "...but be warned that it's repetitious, unpolished, repetitious, mostly boring, repetitious and poorly designed. Did I mention it's repetitious?"

So despite the game having a strong artistic thread that made the experience worth having, it was also a sprawling mess of mundane repetition held together by a (small) core of fun gameplay and a lot of style.

I'm done with No More Heroes. I didn't finish it, but I can't put up with it's painful design choices and repetition anymore. I made it a good 80-90 percent through the game, about 2 boss battles from the end, and I'm hanging it up.

It's not too hard or anything, it's just too long. It's not worth it anymore.

Sounds bad? It's just my frustration because I wanted to like it because of the style, the story, even the fighting mechanics. They were all good.

The rest of the game design was just busted, though, and I can't help but wish that there some someone involved who reigned in the creator, Suda 51, and said "This needs to be playable."

From what I understand, that was Ryan Payton's job on Metal Gear Solid 4. Hideo Kojima had the ideas, Payton was in charge of making sure the gameplay (esspeically for the Western audience) would match the quality of those ideas. I may be oversimplfying it, but I feel that that's exactly what No More Heroes needed.

I still say play the game. There's alot of good stuff there. But don't commit to it. You'll probably be disappointed.

No comments: