Monday, November 30, 2009

Pushed to the Edge.

Tonight I beat Mirror's Edge. I don't know why I did. I started it because I've been wanting to check it out since it's release. I buy and play a lot of games that I think might 'push the medium' forward. Indie games, games with fresh new ideas or interesting narrative and art choices... Mirror's Edge is a game that always appealed to me. It was a new IP, has a bold, minimalist art style and an entirely different take on a genre. Perfect, right?

Not really. I didn't find it enjoyable. At all, really.

The other night I wrote a big scathing post about it. But I sat on it, and had second thoughts. As an artist, I really hate to ever put myself in a position of poo-pooing other people's work. Whether it's one person's doodle or a multi-million dollar product. A lot of super talented people poured a lot of hard work into this game and got some phenomenal results in certain places.

But I think it's safe to say time, money, design decisions and the concept might have led to less that stellar results.

I'll just say this: Mirror's Edge frustrated me. A whole lot. I felt like to play the game right, you had to have played it to completion once already. Now I've played it once and I never want to see it again.

I beat it despite my better judgment. I finished it, said 'thank god, that was painful' and immediately put it up on Goozex. Enough said.

I am dumb.

No comments: