I wanted so check out some games off Steam last night.
I hit up and gym on my way home. When I felt I was wobbly. Either I worked out very hard, or I'm extra weak. Possibly both...
When I got home I was looking at the internet, as I'm known to do. I noticed my internet was going abnormally slow. Then it stopped working entirely. And wouldn't start again.
I've been having trouble with my router for quite a while now. Possibly even a year or more. It stops functioning frequently. Sometimes I can just reset it and everything's dandy, but sometimes it takes an inexplicably long time to start working again. Oftentimes I give up and go to bed and it magically works in the morning.
The new laptop seems to mess with it in particular. If I'm on Xbox LIVE and someone opens the laptop, it disconnects me. Every time. Occasionally it just make the internet stop working all together. I don't know how or why. But it sucks.
In the past few months, it's gotten to the point where I've stopped putting any security on the router because I have to do a hard reset every week or two, and that means I have to enter a new password in two computers, the Wii, the PS3, the 360 if I protect the connection. Too much hassle.
But last night it was particularly irksome. The slow-ness of it made me suspect my neighbors were taking advantage of my already sketchy connection. Everything I might want to do (check out those Steam games, play on Xbox LIVE, stream some Netflix or update my blog) required the internet. So I jumped up, ran to Target and got a spiffy new (and faster!) router. Problem solved.
Not even. For some reason set up did not go smoothly. It should have, it's easy and impossible to mess it up. Which is what made me so frustrated. I finally got it working, but it took nearly an hour and a half. By that time it was 11:00, Lindsay was home and I was pissed.
Bah. But now it works, and it seems faster than ever. And the laptop doesn't cause any interference with my LIVE connection. It *should* be super solid now and I won't have to think about router issues for another 5-6 years (which is how old my malfunctioning router was).
And I didn't even have to call Jesse.
I went through and re-figured all the devices in the house to work with the new router, and then I was finally happy.
Especially because Modern Warfare 2 should be waiting at my door when I get home...
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
high five!
What steam games?
You should get Machinarium, it's rad.
Off Steam? So far I've bought Torchlight, Machinarium and Company of Heroes. But I've downloaded demos of Time Gentlemen, Please!, Dawn of War II, Zeno Clash, Tales of Monkey Island and Bookworm Adventures...
Post a Comment