Friday, October 8, 2010

Windows on Mac.

I intalled Windows 7 on my brand new MacBook Pro. It was easy, although I didn't read the directions thoroughly and thought it was a failure at first.

Basically, from OSX you need to run BootCamp which partitions the drive and allows you to install Windows. Once windows is installed, I thought I just needed to download the BootCamp driver updates from the Apple site. The step I missed was inserting the original OSX disc while windows was running and install BootCamp on the mac-side.

So for a while, nothing worked very well at all. As soon as I took a step back and realized what I'd missed, everything worked perfectly. Well, except the fact that I underestimated how big Windows 7 actually is... So once I finished the install, downloaded Steam and a couple games and realized I had less than 1 gig of space left, I wiped it clean and started again. Oops.

But, like I said, it works like a dream. So far I've installed Company of Heroes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Mount and Blade: Warband and Civilization 5. They all run better than I hoped, so I'm happy.

That's not saying a ton, since only Civ 5 is a recent game, but the others really chugged on my PC laptop, but I've really wanted to play them. They all fall into that punishing-in-an-awesome-way category that my favorite games always fall into (Farcry 2, Demon's Souls, Frozen Synapse, Bushido Blade) so I'm really excited to finally be able to explore them a little deeper.

The first 1/2 of the week was a normal, busy and tiring week. Maybe too tiring for some, because on Wednesday Lindsay made the decree that Thursday we would all go to our house, play WoW and Demon's Souls and not do anything. So on Thursday, Francesca came over and we spent all day playing Demon's Souls, WoW and not doing anything. I guess that's the perks of working for yourself.

Friday was more normal but I kind of felt like crap. I went to the gym towards the end of the day because I felt like crap and I was hoping that would help. It did, but I also hadn't eaten anything and I got really hungry/tired/not awesome.

Lindsay and I went to Yum! and I got some fish tacos.

Tonight I played some Halo with Ryan, who finally got his copy from Gamefly. We've played through the other Halo's on Legendary together, but I think it might be too much for us this time... It seems much harder than previous versions.

It could just be that Ryan hadn't played Halo in a year, so we was pretty rust to just jump into Legendary.

Other than that, I've spent a lot of time getting my computer up to speed. Besides the Windows deal, I want to make sure everything is as neat and tidy as I transfer over my digital-life. I want to avoid just dropping all my crap thinking I'll sort though it later. I'm even going through my iTunes library, letter by letter, trying to cut out the fat.

Same goes for fonts, Photoshop brushes, photos, art files... everything.

I'm pretty set to go as far as art goes, I've installed the CS5 suite and Painter 11, although I have yet to tweak everything to my liking.

Wow. This post is long. I'm sure it's quite boring too. I guess I should go to bed. I think I had more to say, but I'm sure it was not even as enlightening as the rest of this fabulous post...

No comments: