Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fatherly visit.

My dad came up to visit this weekend. It was a short trip, up on Friday, back on Saturday.

I took off a little early from the office to clean the crap out of the house. I did a pretty good job, and was finishing just and he arrived. He brought Shoes with him, the family dog who is now getting very old. It's good to see Shoes, it was the first dog we got that I remember being around for Puppy-hood, but these days it's a little sad because she's creaky just acts so old.

We went out to Buca for diner. Lindsay had been craving it for a week or two, but twice we had gone and it had been too busy to bother waiting. So I made a reservation and we had a boatload of Italian food.

Afterward, we went home and played RockBand. My dad loves to sing, so even though he seemed a little put-off at first, Lindsay only got in 1 song before he took over the mic. We played a few songs out of my hundreds-deep RockBand Library, but there weren't a ton that he knew well enough to want to bother singing. Then I remembered The Beatles RockBand, and pulled that out. That was much simpler. It was more a question of what song NOT to sing.

After an hour or so it was getting late (for him) so he went to bed. Lindsay had to teach Saturday morning, so she went to bed too. I took advantage of the quiet to start Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Sc-sc-scary.

The next morning my dad and I went to the studio while Lindsay was teaching. We were looking for my stockpile of art left unsold from shows. We couldn't find it anywhere. We headed home and Lindsay met up with us at Ghandi Mahal when her class got out. I guess my dad wasn't too familiar with Indian food, but he predictably really liked it.

He left right after, so Lindsay and I had the rest of the day to do whatever. We went to West Elm and bought some furniture. Upon returning home, we found that none of it assembled correctly. Bummer.

On Sunday we had to go return everything to West Elm, so we took the opportunity to get some burgers and Five Brothers. It's really, really rare we eat hamburgers, but every once in a while the mood strikes. Sunday was one of these days.


That night I finally got around to watching the Watchmen. I own the comic and have read it a couple times, but after seeing the movie, I think it might have been better in a few key ways. Maybe that's blasphemy. Maybe thanks to my familiarity with the book allowed me to enjoy the movie more because I understood the world right away.

If I had to recommend one, I might recommend the movie. Although maybe that's not saying a lot. I like the book, but I've never been in love with it or anything.

No comments: