Last night I was in bed and it was late. I had my computer, and wanted to play simple game (since I was in bed and without a surface to mouse on). I browsed my Steam games and didn't feel like playing any of those, so I downloaded the Anomaly Warzone Earth demo.
I had heard some good things about it, it's super cheap, and it works on Mac, so I didn't have to reboot to Windows. Despite it's lame name, that's good enough for me.
It's been called a Reverse Tower Defense game, because you're a small fleet of vehicles making your way through the streets while massive alien towers blast at you. And it works super well.
I'm not a huge fan of Tower Defense to start with, either. They have to have something unique about them for me to be a fan. I liked PixelJunk Monsters a fair bit, with your little dancing player character. And Swords & Soldiers was a fun take on a 2D side scrolling Tower Defense as well. Toy Soldiers was a blast too. But in every case, there's a point I always hit that I just quit. When it get hard. It's not that it's too hard, really, it's that it take too long to get the point where you lose. You make your plan and if it's the wrong plan, there's usually not a ton you can do about it, but you don't know that until you're 10 or 15 minutes in. And I hate that feeling.
But Anomaly is much more reactive. You can change your path, reorder your troops, buy new units and, like PixelJunk Monsters, you have an avatar. He's can't attack, but he can run around to grab powerups as well as throw down concealing smoke, decoys, repair kits and call in air strikes.
So it's a bit like a tower defense game, a bit like a tactical puzzle game, and even a bit action-y, since you can't be everywhere at once.
Anyway, it's really well done, with really nice graphics and slick presentation. I went to buy it and throw the developers a few bucks for their solid effort. But Steam didn't have a record of my credit card... it seems like ever since you have to enter a code to authorize a computer (which it makes me do every time I switch from windows to mac), it takes out all my info.
Since I'm too lazy to reenter it... I guess maybe I won't get that game. If the mood strikes me and I actually have my wallet on me that there's a chance.
Today was busy. I got up kind of early, actually, and got ready for the day. Lindsay and I went out to breakfast, but there were massive lines everywhere. Of course. Sunday morning. We almost resorted to Old Country Buffet, but decided to just grab something at noodles instead. Too bad I was really looking forward to some eggs, toast and bacon.
We ran to target and bought a ton of crap, and then made a surprise trip to the Humane Society. The were having some sort of Rabbit Meet-and-Greet, so there was a large room with about 40 or 50 rabbits running around and playing. There was bridges to climb over, boxes to hide in, and a swarm of people around the perimeter watching. It was really funny, and I'm surprised at how social they all were. They were playing with each other, and running up to strangers to be pet.
We took a look at the dogs and cats, not because we need anymore, obviously, but just to see what's going on in the animal rescue world. I was shocked to see that there wasn't much. There were about 15-20 dogs, but at least 1/2 were spoken for already. And the cats were even more amazing! There must have been 10-15 cats, and of those only 3 hadn't been claimed. Crazy! Usually in the early spring that place is FILLED with cats needing homes. They must have had a good weekend or something.
It's still sad to see some of the older dogs and cats who were put up for grabs. The reasons people leave pets make me really angry. There's a lot of 'moving' or 'landloard issues' but c'mon! Fuck you! You got a pet and you have a responsibility! Figure it out! Move to a different place! Make arrangements to take it!
But maybe there's something more to the story that I don't know (although that's such a common reason that in most cases, I doubt it). But then there's really bad ones, like an 11 year old dogs was given up because "he wasn't active enough."
I swear, if I met the person who gave up an old dog for not being active enough, I would punch them in the dick and the face at the same time.
Sorry, not I'm all worked up. But pet's are obviously a big deal to me and I hate to see people treat it like a joke.
After the Humane Society, we grabbed some materials from the hardware store and went to the studio. Lindsay coated our new desks in polyurethane and painted the wall dividers while I worked on a project I need finished by Wednesday. It's actually went smoothly and was pretty relaxing, so no big whoop.
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment